Bachelor of Divinity
BACHELOR OF DIVINITY (BD)
The purpose of training students through theological education here, as elsewhere, is to make them effective ministers. We try to encourage deeper commitment and spiritual growth as we live together as community. Knowledge towards developing mental faculty both theoretically and practically and understanding of the faith towards spiritual growth and maturity are equally important. In many areas both ministers and laity have considerable opportunity of moulding the cultural, political, and economic and religious life of their people. If they are to do so in an enlightened and effective manner they need preparation. For this we have compulsory courses in all the major branches of study together with interdisciplinary courses focusing on major issues in our present situation to make theological teaching relevant to the context. From all these branches Senate examines the required number of papers to ensure that all-India standard is maintained and rest of the papers as prescribed by the Senate are examined by the College. Beyond this the student is free to choose from a wide variety of optional courses.
The academic calendar begins in mid June every year with a retreat for renewal of the faculty and students’ commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ. The College follows the Semester system for its programmes. The first semester ends in October with a term examination in the first/second week of October. The second semester begins in the third/last week of October and ends in mid April with both the Senate and the College Examinations.
About the Course:
The Bachelor of Divinity is a degree programme extending over a period of four years. The graduates holding BA/ BSc/ BCom or higher degrees are eligible to take this course. The BTh graduates of the Serampore College or of any recognized university are also eligible to take this course.
- The normal length of the BD Course is four years.
- The courses under the BD programme are divided into different clusters. Some courses are compulsory (foundational) and common to all students; these are grouped under one or the other of the 7 clusters or areas of study. Some are integrated/ interdisciplinary courses and a candidate will be expected to pass in as many papers/ courses required set by the Senate of Serampore College.
- A candidate with B.Th/ B.Miss/ BA/ BSc/ B.Com degree would be required to complete in all the required papers and a thesis (or 8 credit papers in lieu of the thesis) besides passing preliminary courses in biblical languages (Hebrew and Greek) & Study Methods.
- A candidate who has passed the B.Th/ B.Miss/BCS examination of the Senate of Serampore College is eligible for admission to the Third year of the BD programme.
- A student is required to have 80% attendance in each of the papers, failing which may lead to debarment from examination.
- A candidate must attend all the Field Education Programmes arranged by the College towards the fulfillment of requirement by the Senate.
- There is a Scripture Knowledge Test conducted annually for every class separately and it is essential for all the students to pass in order to fulfill the requirement laid down by the College.